Individuals who wish to enter Canada for a temporary purpose, such as tourists, temporary foreign workers (work permits) and international students (study permits) must apply for and be granted a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

The TRV is a document by a Canadian Immigration Visa Office outside Canada, showing that the holder has satisfied the requirements for admission to Canada as a visitor. Temporary Resident Visas may be for single entry or multiple entry.


Parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents can apply for the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa to visit Canada for up to two years without the need to renew their status.

To apply for the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa, you must be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada; be found admissible to Canada and meet certain other conditions.

In addition to being found admissible to Canada, the parent or grandparent must also provide a written commitment of financial support from their child or grandchild in Canada who meets a minimum income threshold; prove that they have bought Canadian medical insurance coverage for at least one year and complete an Immigration Medical Examination